If you are an Apple user and you wanted to charge your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in a dock, then the best option available would have been charging devices from third parties. But things have changed now! Apple has finally brought out universal lightning docks to charge iPhones irrespective of their configuration or model type.
What is the Universal Lightning Dock?
The universal lightning dock for charging iPhones is a boon to all iPhone users as it has relieved them of the compulsion to use third party devices. The phone sits in an upright position on the dock while it charges / syncs. The best part about using this dock is that you can unlock iPhone or use Touch ID without having to remove the phone from the dock.
Front View (Source: Mashable)
Back View (Source: Mashable)
The device comes with an audio line-out which can be used to connect it to powered speakers. The dock is compatible with headphones that have a remote control. Other lightning accessories such as Lightning to USB Cable are also supported. If you feel like making a call without having to remove the phone from the dock, then you can do it. The absence of any form of molded groove means that future models of the iPhone can easily be charged / synced with this dock. This is obviously for all models that have a lightning port. In case Apple decides to bring out wireless charging, then a compatible charging unit would be required.
Using the Universal Lightning Dock
The lightning dock is a versatile device and can be used in several ways. Check out some of the ways in which this dock may be used.
- Sync and Charge the iPhone Simultaneously – Connect the dock to your computer with the USB cable (included with your iPhone) to sync iPhone and charge its battery.
- Connect to an Electrical Outlet – The dock can be connected using the Apple USB Power Adapter (included with your iPhone) to charge the battery.
- Make Calls Without Removing the iPhone from the Dock – Place your iPhone in the dock and enjoy clear audio during speakerphone calls.
- Enjoy Music While Keeping the Phone Connected to the Dock – Connect the dock to powered speakers or a stereo using a 3.5-mm cable (sold separately) to play music and podcasts from your iPhone.
Pricing and Availability
(Source: Apple Store)
The universal lightning dock is priced at $39, which is a reasonable price considering the extent of usage that this device is capable of delivering. Surely you can get $10 devices from third parties, but they have a limitation of being compatible with 1-2 models of the iPhone. So shelling out a few extra bucks won’t be much of a problem. As of now, there is a 1-3 days waiting period for getting the dock. The device is available at the Apple Store also. However, most places seem to have run out of stocks as iPhone users rushed to get their hands on this immensely versatile and valuable gadget.
- Indian Government Refuses Apple’s Plan of Selling Refurbished iPhones in the Country - 17 May, 2016
- Download WhatsApp for Desktop Right Now! - 11 May, 2016
- Latest Technology News of The day – March 23, 2016 - 23 March, 2016
- Accessory Update: Detachable QWERTY Keyboard for the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ - 19 August, 2015
- Brace Yourself for Android 6.0 “Marshmallow” - 18 August, 2015