I am sure that you have been annoyed with the multitude of ads, specifically banner ads that pop up on Skype and distract you from your conversations. Do you want to know how to get rid of these annoying promotional materials? It’s quite simple actually. You only need to make a few tweaks here and some changes there, and voila – you would have an ad-free skype all to yourself.
There are 2 separate methods by which this can be achieved. Check them out below.
Method #1: Restrict Site(s)
In this method, you need to restrict some sites which are responsible for the ads being displayed in the Skype chat window.
- Step 1: Open Network and sharing Center OR > Control Panel > Network and internet > Internet Option
- Step 2: Switch > Security tab > Click > Restricted sites icon
- Step 3: After clicking on “sites”, the “restricted sites” dialogue will appear on the screen.
- Step 4: Add the link https://apps.skype.com/ and “g.msn.com“ in the text field and click the “Add” button.
- Step 5: Close the internet options and restart skype for the changes to show. When you start Skype, you will notice that the ads have disappeared.
Method #2: Remove the Ad Placeholder
This method involves removing the ad placeholder in the skype window completely. With no placeholder, there would be no place for the ads to get displayed.
- Step 1: Make sure your Skype client is updated with the latest version. If not, then update it. You can check the version of the app by going to Help > Check for updates. Once finished, completely exit Skype.
- Step 2: Go to your C:\users\youruser\AppData\Roaming\Skype\yourskypeuser\config.xml
- Step 3: In the config.xml file, click the edit option and find the line <AdvertPlaceholder>1</AdvertPlaceholder>. When you locate this line, delete it. Make sure you save the changes before exiting the file or else the line would remain there. This should take care of your ad problems.