There are times when you delete messages just before realizing that they held importance for you. I am sure that most of you have already experienced this. If you are using an iPhone, then you need not worry as the deleted text messages can be recovered. Even if you are not able to restore deleted text messages using the backup facility, then there are third party apps which may prove to be pretty useful for you.
Here are three proven ways in which you can restore deleted text messages on your iPhone.
Use iCloud to Restore Messages
Apple’s venture into cloud based services has turned out to be a boon for users as the data, if backed up on iCloud, can be restored on any Apple device as long as you remember the login credentials. Even if you did not manually back up the data from your phone to the cloud, there is a possibility of the data being backed up automatically if the automatic sync option in iTunes was not disabled.
Use the following steps to restore deleted text using iCloud.
- Open https://icloud.com and login with your Apple ID and password
- Click on “Text Messages” (This option will only be visible if SMS data has been backed up on the cloud. If it has not synced, then you won’t find this option)
- Once you access the list of messages to select the ones that you need
- With that done, you need to access the “settings” option on your iPhone and then select the “iCloud” option
- At this stage, you need to turn off the “Text Messages” option. This may seem a bit weird, but trust me, this is important.
- As soon as you turn off the text messages option, a pop up will be displayed with relevant text and an option called “Keep on my iPhone”. Select this option
- Now you need to turn on the “Text Messages” option
- With the option reactivated, tap on the “Merge” button and wait for a few minutes. The deleted messages should reappear on your iPhone.
The only problem that could arise with this method is that iCloud doesn’t back up SMS data in all regions. It may also not support some phone operators. So find out whether iCloud backs up SMS data in your region before attempting this method. If not, then you could proceed to the methods mentioned below.
Use iTunes Backup for Restoring Messages
If the iCloud method did not work for you, then there is a good chance that you may be able to restore deleted text messages using iTunes. Just follow these steps.
- Connect your iPhone to the PC / Laptop with which you sync your device. The iTunes window should pop up the moment you establish the connection. If it does not open automatically, then open it manually
- In the iTunes window, locate your iPhone. It should be depicted in a box and positioned at the top right-hand corner of the window
- Here you will find an option called “restore backup”. Select it.
- After a few minutes, you will find that the backed up data has been restored on your device.
Remember, this option will only work if you have not backed up or synced your SMS data after deleting the message. This will cause the backup copy to be erased also. So be careful before syncing / backing up your iPhone.
Use Third Party Apps
If both of the above mentioned methods did not work for you, then the only option left with you is to use third party apps. Some of them might charge you a fee for downloading the apps. I do not have much experience in using these third party apps so I cannot guarantee the outcome. But it is well worth a try if all methods fail. WonderShare Dr.Fone for iOS and Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery are some third party apps that have a good reputation with users and may be able to restore deleted text messages on your iPhone. These apps work on the concept that deleted messages remain on your handset till the time they are overwritten. However, one cannot guarantee that the desired outcome would be achieved.
Were you able to restore deleted text using any of these methods? Do let us know by sharing your experience in the comments section below. If you know of any other method, then please feel free to tell us about it.
- Indian Government Refuses Apple’s Plan of Selling Refurbished iPhones in the Country - 17 May, 2016
- Download WhatsApp for Desktop Right Now! - 11 May, 2016
- Latest Technology News of The day – March 23, 2016 - 23 March, 2016
- Accessory Update: Detachable QWERTY Keyboard for the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ - 19 August, 2015
- Brace Yourself for Android 6.0 “Marshmallow” - 18 August, 2015